Sunday, September 14, 2008

Race Report Doathlonforlife: The Haag Trifecta

It was a pretty busy weekend because I decided, at the last minute, to race in the Doathlonforlife duathlon in Des Moines, IA. I wasn't sure if I should go because I wouldn't be able to leave until early Saturday evening. I was helping host a baby shower for a great college friend of mine who is having a baby in November (she looks amazing by the way) and I kind of have a routine I like to follow with the night before a race, however, it all worked out. I convinced my husband and father in law to race too and the Haag Trifecta was in effect.

There were a couple of girls in the field who I knew were going to be competitive and since I had never done a Duathlon before I wasn't sure of a race strategy. I knew that if I could keep a 6:30 min/mile pace in past Olympic distance races, I should be able to go a little faster for the first portion of the run which was only a 5k. I started out well with the lead girls but came up to T1 in 4th place. I made up some good ground during the bike and moved up into second. After the bike, I knew that I didn't have much time to catch the first place girl since we only had 5K left. I saw my sister in law as I was heading out on the last 5K and she told me I was the second girl, I responded - "First place is pretty far ahead isn't she?" If you know Lindsey, then you know she never has anything bad or negative to say about anything or anyone. She responded to me - "You can catch her Kort," but I saw the look on her face and knew otherwise!!!

Derek got second in his age group and Gery (my father in law) continues to impress me with his ability to finish triathlons, 1/2 marathons and now duathlons! He's getting faster in every race.

In all, I was happy with my performance, but I think I have had enough of this 2nd place business!

No comments: